Poor American Express.
The iconic brand with the famous slogan, “Don’t leave home without it,” has become a little dated. Because what we really, truly can’t leave home without are our cell phones. Like it or not, the mobile phone has become the security blanket that we refuse to go without.
So as people – your customers and prospects – clutch their smartphones day and night, you’d like to go along for the ride, correct? That’s what a mobile website is all about.
The power and potential the mobile device has created for you to build stronger and more mutually beneficial relationships with your customers is undeniable. After all, nothing can get you closer to your customer.
SO WHO really cares whether or not I have a responsive website?
We’ll let the numbers speak for themselves here, but it’s safe to say that soon, pretty much everyone will care about the mobile friendliness of your website. Take into account the following:
- Mobile search is expected to increase by over 400% from 2012 to 2014.
- Thanks to 4G bandwidth technology, more and more internet searches are now being done on mobile devices than on laptop or desktop computers.
- By 2014 – that’s this year – more people will be accessing the web from mobile devices than from desktop computers.
- A bad mobile experience will cost you: almost 60% of users will not recommend a business with a bad mobile site.
SO WHAT is a responsive website?
The simple answer: it’s a simplified version of your full website that will display correctly on a mobile device, (tablet, smartphone) with a few significant differences:
- smaller screens
- fewer images – even with 4G, browsing is slower than our desktop computers, so graphics slow down the mobile user’s browsing experience
- fewer pages – the tiny screen does not encourage complex navigation or lengthy reading
- more focused content
The bigger answer: a mobile website is the greatest opportunity you’ve ever had to connect with current customers and be found by new ones. What other mode of communication puts you within four feet of your target at all times?
SO WHY a responsive website?
Here are just a few reasons why having a responsive website makes sense:
- It’s recommended by Google. Google states that responsive web design is its recommended mobile configuration, and even goes so far as to refer to responsive web design as the industry best practice. This is because responsive design sites have one URL and the same HTML, regardless of device, which makes it easier for Google to crawl, index, and organize your website’s content.
- Mobile traffic will boost your overall traffic. You can significantly increase your overall audience loyalty by being available wherever and whenever they want to access your site. And isn’t that what true customer service is about: being available to your customers?
- Your competitors have a mobile website. Enough said.
- People spend money on their mobile. According to mobile research, people have more trust and confidence buying from a handheld device than from their desktop computer, likely due to associating desktops with malware and other threats.
- Mobile can increase consumer trust. Research suggests that website visitors are 51% more likely to do business with an online retailer if it has a mobile site.
- Mobile-friendly is local-friendly. A mobile website can help you by engaging local search, maps, and directories that make it easy to find your front door.
SO HOW do I make my website mobile-friendly?
Don’t worry; designing a mobile version of your current website is not a daunting or expensive task. In fact, we just happen to know some expert responsive website designers right here in Greenville, SC. What would it hurt to just contact them (well okay, contact us) for a free quote, just to see how affordably and efficiently we can make your business website mobile?